Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event:
DATE: Saturday, May 20, 2023
TIME: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm (noon)
LOCATION: Athens Middle School – 100 US Hwy 31 North – north parking lot between the football stadium and the school
This will be a drive through, drop off event for Limestone County Residents.
Examples of (including but not limited to) acceptable household hazardous waste items at a collection event:
- Paint (spray paint, liquid paint) and paint related products such as mineral spirits, turpentine, furniture strippers, paint removers, stains
- Automotive products such as transmission and brake fluid, anti-freeze, gasoline
- Lawn and garden poisons such as weed killers, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, rodent poisons, roach and flea powder
- Household cleaners and chemicals such as oven and toilet cleaners, disinfectants, drain cleaners, rug shampoo, polishes, ammonia, bleach-based products, pool chemicals
- Fluorescent bulbs (contact KALB to specify type)
Items Not Accepted: We cannot accept explosives, medical waste, biological waste, or radioactive materials.
If you have an item that you are unsure about, please contact us and we will get an answer for you.
For Your Safety: Please do not load your HHW items into an enclosed vehicle the night before the collection event. These chemicals may release toxic or harmful fumes into your vehicle when left for an extended period of time. Also, do not allow these items to get wet before the event. Some chemicals are water reactive and may cause injury or harm. Do not mix unknown items together, as this may cause a dangerous chemical reaction. Please try to bring these items in their original containers. However, if these containers are damaged please put them in a box that has been lined with two garbage bags or in a container with a lid. If your household wastes are leaking, put the box or container in cat litter, sawdust or other similar absorbent materials.
*Subscribe to KALB’s eNewsletter for information and updates on our current events, programs, and projects. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your name and email address under “Subscribe To Our Newsletter”.