2021 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event
Mark your calendar! Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful is pleased to announce that we will be hosting another Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Event in 2021. If you missed our last event, now is your chance! Springtime is a great time to clean out and gather up all of your household cleaners, household chemicals, old paint, lawn and garden chemicals, or other items that you may have been storing for years. Our collection offers you an opportunity to rid your home of potentially dangerous items and to properly dispose of them once and for all!
DATE: Saturday, April 10, 2021
TIME: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm (noon)
LOCATION: Athens Middle School – 100 US Hwy 31 North – north parking lot between the football stadium and the school
The gates will close at noon sharp, so be sure to arrive in plenty of time. Volunteers will be on site to provide traffic direction in the parking lot and to help unload vehicles. This event will be a drive through drop off event, and residents are encouraged to stay inside your vehicle to allow the volunteers to unload your HHW items. Please note, this event is for LIMESTONE COUNTY RESIDENTS ONLY.
Examples of (including but not limited to) acceptable household hazardous waste items:
- Paint (spray paint, liquid paint) and paint related products such as mineral spirits, turpentine, furniture strippers, paint removers, stains
- Automotive products such as transmission and brake fluid, anti-freeze, gasoline
- Lawn and garden poisons such as weed killers, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, rodent poisons, roach and flea powder
- Household cleaners and chemicals such as oven and toilet cleaners, disinfectants, drain cleaners, rug shampoo, polishes, ammonia, bleach-based products, pool chemicals
- Fluorescent bulbs (contact KALB to specify type)
Items Not Accepted: We cannot accept explosives, medical waste, biological waste, or radioactive materials.
If you have an item that you are unsure about, please contact us and we will get an answer for you.
For Your Safety: Please do not load your HHW items into an enclosed vehicle the night before the collection event. These chemicals may release toxic or harmful fumes into your vehicle when left for an extended period of time. Also, do not allow these items to get wet before the event. Some chemicals are water reactive and may cause injury or harm. Do not mix unknown items together, as this may cause a dangerous chemical reaction. Please try to bring these items in their original containers. However, if these containers are damaged please put them in a box that has been lined with two garbage bags or in a container with a lid. If your household wastes are leaking, put the box or container in cat litter, sawdust or other similar absorbent materials.
We would like to thank the following for their partnership and support in making this much needed event happen:
- Solid Waste Authority of Limestone County
- Limestone County Commission and Commission Chairman Collin Daly
- Athens City Council and Mayor Ronnie Marks
- Solid Waste Disposal Authority of the City of Huntsville
- Mayor’s Youth Commission